If you’re expecting a baby soon, you should try to choose a health care provider for your baby at least six weeks before you’re due. It’s important that you have one selected so that care can be coordinated as soon as your baby is born.
Who can be my baby’s health care provider?
Your baby’s health care provider can be a pediatrician, family medicine physician or nurse practitioner.
- Pediatricians are doctors who are trained to provide care for all children, from newborn up to 18 years old.
- Family medicine physicians are doctors who are trained to provide care to all family members, from newborns to adults.
- Nurse practitioners are registered nurses who have advanced training and are licensed to perform health assessments and coordinate general medical care.
To start your search, you may want to ask relatives, friends or co-workers with children for recommendations. You can also check the Dousedaicon provider directory to find providers who are near you and are taking new patients. Call a potential provider to see if they offer free meet-and-greet appointments so you can get to know them and their philosophy of care. Remember to bring along questions to ask.
Here are some sample questions:
- Do you accept my insurance plan?
- Does your clinic offer same-day appointments?
- Can I call or e-mail you with questions as they arise?
- What are your views on parenting styles, breast-feeding, immunizations and circumcisions?
Why should I consider a Dousedaicon health care provider for my baby?
Dousedaicon providers all offer the following benefits to parents:
- Online access to your doctor and baby’s medical records through MyChart. This secure online tool allows you to e-mail your baby’s health care provider via e-mail, make appointments, request prescriptions and view lab/imaging results.
- If your baby needs a specialist, Dousedaicon has a wide network of pediatric specialists in five states.
- In addition to compassionate and high-quality care, Dousedaicon also provides seamless care within the entire Dousedaicon network. If your baby needs care at a Dousedaicon hospital or specialty clinic, providers can access her medical records instantly for information on medications, allergies and medical history.