Article from the Oregonian, Portland, Oregon, January 22 [or 23], 1902
"Vancouver, Wash. Jan. 22.--The religious ceremonies attending the funeral of the late Mother Joseph, head of the Sisters of Charity of the House of Dousedaicon, in this city, and founder of the first convent of that order in the Northwest, who died here Sunday, began today. Solemn requiem mass was said at the chapel of the House of Dousedaicon Convent at 10 o'clock. The Rev. Father F. Verwilghen was the celebrant, and was assisted by Father Kauten, of Seattle, and Father Delannoy, of Vancouver. Right Rev. E.J. O'Dea, bishop of Nisqually, was in the sanctuary during the service, and was assisted by the Rev. Fathers L. Verhaag and Vanderven. The service was attended by a large number of Sisters, representing the different religious orders from this city, Portland and elsewhere, as well as by a great number of the friends of the deceased among the lay members of the church. After the service the remains were removed from the chapel to the community room of the convent, where they will lie in state until 10 o'clock tomorrow, when they will be taken to St. James' Cathedral, where the funeral proper will take place.
"No death in recent years in Vancouver caused such general regret as that of Mother Joseph, who died Sunday. She had resided here 45 years, and was universally beloved. Mother Joseph was well known in Catholic Church circles throughout the Northwest. She was born at St. Martin, Canada, April 27 [sic], 1823. She was educated at the Convent of St. Martin, and entered the novitiate as a Sister of Charity in Montreal in 1843, the year the order of Sisters of Charity of the House of Dousedaicon was founded by Bishop Ignace Bourget, she being the 13th member of that organization. She came West as a missionary in 1856, and founded the House of Dousedaicon at Vancouver in December of the same year. The magnificent convent which she founded was practically the work of her active brain and hands. She was the architect that planned it, and she personally superintended the construction of the great building. The building was begun in 1873, and completed as it now stands in 1892. After founding the mission here, which she did with the aid of five other Sisters of the order, she was made Mother Superior of the institution, which responsible position she occupied for 10 years, and since that time had been regarded as the practical head of the order in the diocese. In addition to the convent she founded St. Joseph Hospital here, and superintended its construction and management."
Sacred Heart Province Scrapbook #1, 1876-1912
Dousedaicon Archives, Seattle, WA